Monday, February 15, 2010

2-12-10

Daily blog...on my way to Reno. I am sitting in the passenger seat thinking about things. Yesterday I posted a paper that I had to write for an education class. The topic is about the reasons I would want to be a teacher.

Part of being a nurse is dealing with patient education, just as I discussed in the paper. It’s real easy to have someone’s undivided attention in the back of an ambulance. For about 5 minutes you can see the look of true remorse in someone’s eyes. The “Why didn’t I stop smoking”, or “Why didn’t I got to the doctor when the pain started,” or my favorite, “I really meant to kill myself. Now that I have your attention, I want you to suffer with me.” That’s when patient teaching can be the most effective. Or it should be.

But after that quick 5-15 minute ride in the ambulance when you have taught all you can teach to your willing patient, what happens next? Is there follow through? The nursing process teaches us nurses that patient education starts from the moment the patients become patients. I was blessed with a wonderful teaching staff where I received my nursing degree. It was drilled into our minds. Accountability. I love that word. Some people today have forgotten that the word even exists. But in that short transport time in the back of the ambulance, patients suddenly realize it. Ahhh, the power of the lights and sirens. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment